Madrid. Open to international candidates (100% remote).
We are hiring a Head of People and Culture to help make Ninety Nine the best place to work in Spain.
About the role
As we grow and scale internationally, we aim to safe-guard our team’s happiness.
As of today, we are 27 outstanding team mates with a big smile and unalterable values. By the end of 2021, we expect our team to grow to 70 people and we don’t want those smiles to fade away. Thus, we need YOUR help and hard-won experience to improve our culture as we grow to our company next phase: European expansion.
You will be the architect, engineer and builder of the systems, processes and teams that we need to scale our culture as we grow. You will oversee everything related to Ninety Nine’s people, including Recruiting and HR functions.
What you will be doing
Driving Learning, Leadership & Growth
Each person at Ninety Nine gets to spend a yearly budget on books and conferences. You will add the required processes to ensure they get the most from their learning budget, and over time, develop a Ninety Nine Academy (our own version of Apple University) to scale learning internally.
One third of our team is responsible for managing someone else in the Ninety Nine team. You will create the required structure and processes to help every Ninety Nine manager to learn and grow into that role, and to ensure the success of others through their 1:1s, performance reviews, and anything else you think will make a difference.
As people grow, you will implement a clear and equitable process for salary benchmarking and salary reviews. You’ll make sure we fairly share company ownership across the growing team.
Each person should have a sense of their trajectory at Ninety Nine: what’s now, what’s next, and what’s beyond that. While we have set up Ninety Nine to be somewhere you can thrive for many years, inevitably people will move on, and you will work directly with them to ensure the success of whatever they do next, and to foster a thriving Ninety Nine alumni network.
Finding the next Ninety Niners
Our mission is to improve peoples’ relationship with money, and doing that requires building an ambitious team to serve the needs of our clients financial goals and dreams. You will be constantly building a network and working out how to tell the stories that make Ninety Nine a magnetic force for attracting the best people to work here.
Since launching in 2018, more than 3,000 people have applied to roles at Ninety Nine, and we’ve only been able to hire 1%.
The experience we give 99% of people who apply and don’t get a job is critical to us – that’s why we obsess about having a hospitality mindset as a firm.
That experience extends from the way we write about our roles, where we promote them, the questions we use to assess them, and the language we use to let people know they weren’t successful in their application. Details matter.
We want you to make it possible for anyone, from anywhere, of any background, to have a level playing field when applying for roles at Ninety Nine.
For the folks who do get hired, you will work with each team to make sure they have a great onboarding experience and ensure their success in the first 90 days in the company.
Like the rest of us, you will be someone who has a profound empathy for the success of our clients financial goals and dreams, a mindset of enlightened hospitality for the people you work with, and you will derive your greatest professional joy from the process of unlocking the potential of others.
You will constantly question and seek to improve our processes around people and culture. We have a set of values we live by – simplicity, responsibleness, transparency, empathy, ethicalness and accessibility – and we want to extend those to a set of operating principles for the team to work to. You will help us establish those principles.
You will be the first person on the team solely responsible for all these things, but as Ninety Nine grows, you will form a small and spectacular team around you too.
Your background is less important than your key skills, which should include:
- A passion for helping other people grow through feedback, reflection and learning.
- Experience owning and executing every element of an over the top hiring experience from recruitment, to providing a clear role description, to treating every applicant (successful, or not) with respect and care.
- Novelty in your use of writing, speaking, and event hosting to help potential team members find out more about Ninety Nine as a place to work.
- Experience implementing people’s processes for onboarding, performance reviews, compensation reviews, and everything legal and regulatory as it relates to employment.
Getting your hands dirty should spark joy.
We are looking for someone who is obsessed as we are about building the best possible company to work at. You must have a high ownership mentality, deep comfort with autonomy, confidence in your thought process and willingness to adapt to new information, a hunger for finding the truth, and a desire to help us to help our clients achieve their financial goals and dreams.
As we already mentioned, your skills are more important to us than your background. However we will look more carefully to candidates who have:
- Significant Human Resources experience at a management level. Ideally within a high volume, fast-paced and customer-focused environment.
- Worked on an international company. Preferably a consumer internet and/or fintech startup / scaleup.
- Proficiency in English. Any other language would be an advantage.
- Strong understanding in MS Office and/or Google docs and HR information systems (e.g. Woffu).
Working at Ninety Nine
We believe that building a diverse and inclusive team is critical to Ninety Nine success. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
- Flexible working: whether it’s working from home or leaving early to pick up the kids from daycare or school, that’s not important. We are driven by objectives and let you organize yourself.
- Learning and Development: our team is hungry to continuously learn and you’ll receive a budget to spend on books and conferences to keep growing as a person.
- Unplugged weekends: we work hard without letting work get in the way of life We’ve implemented no Slacks or emails on weekends, so you can switch off.
- Impact: your actions will have an impact in the life of hundreds of thousands of customers that rely their life savings (and dreams) on us.
- Birthday disconnection: important days exist to spend valuable time with family and friends, not drained by infinite emails and never ending to-do lists.
- Private health insurance: nothing is more important for us than our employees health and wellbeing. Period.
About Ninety Nine
Ninety Nine is a fintech scale up with a mission of improving peoples’ relationship with money. We do this by offering an easy to use, affordable and ethical investing platform. We put our clients’ interest at the cornerstone of our decision making process.
We write a lot about what we love about investing, so check out our blog if you want some more information about us.
How to apply
Please send us an email including your LinkedIn profile or CV and we will be in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Good Luck! We hope to be learning and working with you soon!